turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report passive activity loss carryover on oil royalties (not real estate)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

How to report passive activity loss carryover on oil royalties (not real estate)?

Royalty income generally doesn't have losses, since there are no assets commonly associated with a royalty payment. So what specific loss or losses do you have here? With those details, we can better assist and direct you.

The accountant who did my tax return last year gave me a list of carryover values to include in 2016.  I have six items of depletion from six oil royalties.  They come from Schedule E page 1.  Where do I put them in 2016?  The specific dollar amounts show as an AMT depletion adjustment on a non-IRS schedule.
Carl
Level 15

Without knowing what the "6 items" are, we still can't help. There as to be a physical name for them under the Asset Description column of the 4562 titled "Amortization & Depreciation Report". (You want the report with that exact title, that prints in landscape format.)

There is no 4562. I do have a "Schedule of Mineral Interest Properties-Alternative Minimum Tax" form.  The property descriptions are things like "Occidental Permian" and "Texland Petroleum" so I don't think that helps you.  The carryover numbers are in a column titles "(4) AMT Depletion Adjustment".  I think there must be some place to enter them where they carry over to 6251 part 1 somehow.
Carl
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill I have no idea what he's talking about here with these carry overs on royalty income. Maybe you do? All I know is that Depletion Adjustments have nothing to do with carry over losses. It's a devaluation of the value of the royalty right, which I "guess" would be a kind of depreciation?

Your original question is about Passive Loss Carryovers,so I'm going to address that.

I don't know how to do it in the Step by Step interview (the Online version only has that method) for Oil/Gas, so you may need to switch to the CD/downloaded version so you can access the forms and worksheets directly.  Then you can go directly to the "Forms", go to the "Schedule E Wks" and scroll WAY down to enter the Passive Loss Carryovers, including AMT carryovers.

However, the rules for Oil/Gas activities can be quite complex, and the interaction of depletion and AMT is just one of those complexities.  I don't know this, but I suspect that TurboTax falls short on the matter, so you may consider continuing going to a tax professional that is EXPERIENCED with Oil/Gas activities.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies