Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

patmaida
Returning Member

How to manually enter passive loss carry overs and depreciation on rental properties

I sold a rental property in 2017. When I indicated that the property was not rented in 2017, all of my passive loss carry forwards and prior depreciation were removed from my 2017 tax return. Can I import this information from my 2016 tax return?  If not, how and where do I manually add it so that I can take the losses on my 2017 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

How to manually enter passive loss carry overs and depreciation on rental properties

See if changing your responses Do not check the box for "I did not rent the property in 2017." Instead, enter zero for the number of days rented. 
 IF not it will be better to start the return over. You would have to reinput all the assets using last years form 4562 or underlying asset worksheets. 
Do note that if it was available to rent, but just not rented you can still take losses... From IRS Pub 527:  Vacant rental property. If you hold property for rental purposes, you may be able to deduct your ordinary and necessary expenses (including depreciation) for managing, conserving, or maintaining the property while the property is vacant. However, you cannot deduct any loss of rental income for the period the property is vacant. Vacant while listed for sale . If you sell property you held for rental purposes, you can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses for managing, conserving, or maintaining the property until it is sold. If the property is not held out and available for rent while listed for sale, the expenses are not deductible rental expenses  If the property was not listed for rent after the renters moved out, any costs for the period between that date and the date of the sale would be included in the basis of the property rather than rental expenses. Do not check the box for "I did not rent the property in 2017." Instead, enter zero for the number of days rented. Complete that portion of the interview, then enter the sale information under Assets/Depreciation.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

See if changing your responses Do not check the box for "I did not rent the property in 2017." Instead, enter zero for the number of days rented. 
 IF not it will be better to start the return over. You would have to reinput all the assets using last years form 4562 or underlying asset worksheets. 
Do note that if it was available to rent, but just not rented you can still take losses... From IRS Pub 527:  Vacant rental property. If you hold property for rental purposes, you may be able to deduct your ordinary and necessary expenses (including depreciation) for managing, conserving, or maintaining the property while the property is vacant. However, you cannot deduct any loss of rental income for the period the property is vacant. Vacant while listed for sale . If you sell property you held for rental purposes, you can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses for managing, conserving, or maintaining the property until it is sold. If the property is not held out and available for rent while listed for sale, the expenses are not deductible rental expenses  If the property was not listed for rent after the renters moved out, any costs for the period between that date and the date of the sale would be included in the basis of the property rather than rental expenses. Do not check the box for "I did not rent the property in 2017." Instead, enter zero for the number of days rented. Complete that portion of the interview, then enter the sale information under Assets/Depreciation.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies