Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to figure in "Sale" for rental prop transfer

In 2019, my wife and I purchased a residential home that we used for renting to family first, then to other individuals. We have taken some depreciation on it in 2019, and haven't filed 2020 yet. 

In 2020, we formed an Member Managed LLC in July, and transferred the property title to the LLC in September. (Note: We went through the bank and got a commercial loan and insurance with liability coverage, so all that is covered and legit.)  That transfer was done via a Real Estate Transfer and a signed Warranty Deed. 

The question is, when I'm filing the TT Biz account paperwork, it asks for how much the LLC purchased the property for. Does that mean how much it was originally purchased for, how much it was valued at, or something else entirely? TT won't let me enter a "$0" and then the subsequent land value, and I don't want to put down something wrong. 

Also, depreciation. Does it start over since the title was transferred or does it count what we did as individuals beforehand? 

What say you, oh wise Hive? 😉 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

The property goes into the LLC with the same basis as you have.....everything carries over

Thanks for the quick reply. So, just to be clear, I need to enter the date of purchase and amount of purchase as per the original purchase (in 2019), even though the LLC didn't exist then? 

Also, I would count the original purchase price of the house, not figure in depreciation either? 

Thanks so much!

You'll need to enter the date of purchase and original price of the house minus depreciation deduction that was taken in 2019. It will be the basis of the transferred property.

Perfect! Thank you for completing the answer!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies