turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter taxes paid related to oil lease royalties

We received royalties from an oil and gas lease in Texas in 2021. My question is about where to enter the taxes paid that are associated with this lease.

1. The 1099 shows that $330 were paid as Production taxes. Although it is shown on the 1099 it is not associated with a "box number", so I have no way of entering theses taxes.
  2. Parker County, where the wells are located, also sends us a tax bill which we paid in 2021. Where do I enter these taxes paid?

Schedule E line 16 has a line for tax expense. 

Do I have to switch to the desktop version to access Sch E directly? Or is there a page somewhere in the online version where I can enter this info?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. Assuming you received a 1099-MISC for the royalty income, follow these steps in your Turbo Tax Online Premier program

1. Go to federal>wages and income
  2. Rentals, Royalties, and Farm>Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)

3. Follow the prompts including information about your Royalty property so you can enter a profile.

4. Continue answering the questions until you get to the screen that says Let's enter the income for XXXX. Here you will enter information from your 1099-MISC.

5. Enter the information exactly like it is listed on the 1099-MISC. Notice the box that says My form has other info in boxes 1-17. Check the box and then the screen will expand. Enter your federal income tax that was withheld in Box 4.

6. Once your income section is complete, the program will allow you to record your expenses.

7. The first expense category that is listed is other taxes. Here you can enter the local taxes you paid to Parker County. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. Assuming you received a 1099-MISC for the royalty income, follow these steps in your Turbo Tax Online Premier program

1. Go to federal>wages and income
  2. Rentals, Royalties, and Farm>Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)

3. Follow the prompts including information about your Royalty property so you can enter a profile.

4. Continue answering the questions until you get to the screen that says Let's enter the income for XXXX. Here you will enter information from your 1099-MISC.

5. Enter the information exactly like it is listed on the 1099-MISC. Notice the box that says My form has other info in boxes 1-17. Check the box and then the screen will expand. Enter your federal income tax that was withheld in Box 4.

6. Once your income section is complete, the program will allow you to record your expenses.

7. The first expense category that is listed is other taxes. Here you can enter the local taxes you paid to Parker County. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies