Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to calculate short term gains from losses?

Hi I tried day trading this year for the first time and not sure how to use the loss deductions.

If I have 10k short term capital gains and 15k capital losses at the end of the year how do the taxes work?

its showing a net of -5k , I know I can only claim up to -3k deduction. so do i claim a -3k deduction and roll the other -2k to next year or do i subtract the -3k deduction from the 10k gain and pay taxes on the 7k?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Whoa! You don't calculate that, Turtbotax does. All you do is to enter each and every one of your trades into Turbotax. In the current year, all capital losses are first used to offset capital gains. Then, if there is still capital loss, $3,000 of that loss will be used to offset ordinary income. If there is still capital loss left over, it will be carried forward and will be usable next tax year.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Whoa! You don't calculate that, Turtbotax does. All you do is to enter each and every one of your trades into Turbotax. In the current year, all capital losses are first used to offset capital gains. Then, if there is still capital loss, $3,000 of that loss will be used to offset ordinary income. If there is still capital loss left over, it will be carried forward and will be usable next tax year.

And can the -2k be used for an AMT adjustment?

No. Once all losses are offset, only $3k of remaining loss can be used in any one year.

As of TurboTAX 2016 you may now enter grand subtotals for Box D transactions on Line 8a of Schedule D, and  grand subtotals for Box A transactions on Line 1a of Schedule D  instead of typing in all the transactions.

After "did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement?" click YES

Under "Tell us about your XYZ 1099-B"

For Long Term, Put Box D  in the Sale category pulldown.

Enter the Total Proceeds and the Total cost basis for that Category.

Click Done.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies