turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How many years I can carry the passive loss carryover on the same rental property?

Since turning into rental property in 2013, I have been accumulating losses every year. For 2016, I estimate I will start making profit for that rental property. May I ask how many years of passive losses I can carry over to reduce my effective gain in 2016 on beyond?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How many years I can carry the passive loss carryover on the same rental property?

As long as it takes.  Either until you have passive gains that are offset by the passive losses, or you dispose of the property.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

As long as it takes.  Either until you have passive gains that are offset by the passive losses, or you dispose of the property.

agree
kahmunlow

So what happens in the scenario where the partnership did not end but sold the sole property it owned? Can the unallowed passive losses be activated in the year it sold even though the partnership active?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies