Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hb4golf

How do I report the sale of rental property I lived in 2 of last 5 years for 2016 tax year?

Are the reporting requirements for the sale of rental property that I lived in 2 of last 5 years for the 2016 tax year the same as they were in 2015?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
NancyG

How do I report the sale of rental property I lived in 2 of last 5 years for 2016 tax year?

To report Sale of Rental Property:

Report the gain or loss on the sale of rental property on Form 4797, Sales of Business Property. Individuals typically use Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses, together with Form 4797.

For further information, refer to:

If you meet tests for Sale of Personal Residence:

It depends on how long you owned and lived in the home before the sale and how much profit you made. If you owned and lived in the place for two of the five years before the sale, then up to $250,000 of profit is tax-free.

If you are married and file a joint return, the tax-free amount doubles to $500,000. The law lets you "exclude" this much otherwise taxable profit from your taxable income. (If you sold for a loss, though, you can't take a deduction for that loss.)

You can use this exclusion every time you sell a primary residence, as long as you owned and lived in it for two of the five years leading up to the sale, and haven't claimed the exclusion on another home in the last two years.

If your profit exceeds the $250,000 or $500,000 limit, the excess is reported as a capital gain on Schedule D.

DBeeles

I don't see anywhere in Turbo Tax where it prompts me to list the dates I lived in the rental I sold, or confirm the other criteria that allows the capitol gain exemption.  Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies