turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I remove improvements listed on my return that are being depreciated once the building is sold?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

How do I remove improvements listed on my return that are being depreciated once the building is sold?

Yes, you will need to report that you sold every asset on your Asset Summary page. It's your choice how you report the sale. You can enter your book value (purchase price less accumulated depreciation). Or you can divide up the entire sales price according to the value of the assets that sold. 

To find your book value, look for the Depreciation and Amortization Report from last year. TurboTax includes this as part of the PDF when you download your complete return (see screenshot below - click to enlarge). For each asset, subtract Prior Depreciation and Current Depreciation from the Depreciable Basis. This would be the net amount you may wish to report as the sales price.

Your other option is to add up all your assets' book values (including the condo itself), then calculate the percentage of the total for each asset (ie: $50,000 condo / $200,000 total = 25%). Multiply this percentage by the total sale amount to determine what you enter as the sale price for each asset ($400,000 total sale x 25% condo - $100,000 sales price for condo by itself). 

The second method is more involved, but the outcome is the same. But you do need to report the sale for every asset so that TurboTax accurately reports the sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will need to report that you sold every asset on your Asset Summary page. It's your choice how you report the sale. You can enter your book value (purchase price less accumulated depreciation). Or you can divide up the entire sales price according to the value of the assets that sold. 

To find your book value, look for the Depreciation and Amortization Report from last year. TurboTax includes this as part of the PDF when you download your complete return (see screenshot below - click to enlarge). For each asset, subtract Prior Depreciation and Current Depreciation from the Depreciable Basis. This would be the net amount you may wish to report as the sales price.

Your other option is to add up all your assets' book values (including the condo itself), then calculate the percentage of the total for each asset (ie: $50,000 condo / $200,000 total = 25%). Multiply this percentage by the total sale amount to determine what you enter as the sale price for each asset ($400,000 total sale x 25% condo - $100,000 sales price for condo by itself). 

The second method is more involved, but the outcome is the same. But you do need to report the sale for every asset so that TurboTax accurately reports the sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies