turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I locate the carry overs from a prior year return? Do I use 8801 to locate AMT carryover and use Schedule D to locate capital loss carryover? (must do it manually)

I skipped filing one year. So, the automatic carryover importing/calculation is gone. And I have to enter it manually. I know I have AMT carryover (credit) and capital loss carryover. I see form 8801 stating (Credit carryforward to next year) referring to AMT credit. And Schedule D lists the capital loss. Are these the right places on the PDF return to obtain the two carryover numbers? Anything else I need to check in the PDF? And I plan to enter the numbers in "Capital Loss Carryover" in the new return. Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I locate the carry overs from a prior year return? Do I use 8801 to locate AMT carryover and use Schedule D to locate capital loss carryover? (must do it manually)

There is a worksheet for Schedule D (in the instructions) and you would figure your AMT carryover credit on Form 8801.

However, why did you "skip filing one year"? The carryovers are generally applied to the next tax year and skipping one year can present an issue.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There is a worksheet for Schedule D (in the instructions) and you would figure your AMT carryover credit on Form 8801.

However, why did you "skip filing one year"? The carryovers are generally applied to the next tax year and skipping one year can present an issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies