leah2-17

How do I get rental expenses for a portion of my permanent primary residence on Schedule E and not allocated to a vacation home loss? (This is not a vacation rental)

PatriciaV

Yes, the activity relating to renting out part of your home is entered under Rental Properties & Royalties, and appears on Schedule E of your tax return.

The easiest way to find Schedule E in TurboTax is to use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Enter "schedule e", hit Enter, then click "jump to schedule e". This will take you directly to the start of this section.

Or go to My Account >> Tools >> Topic Search. Type in "schedule e", then click the topic in the list.

(If you are using the mobile app and don't have My Account or Tools on your screen, try logging into TurboTax from a laptop or desktop browser.)

Follow the prompts to set up your home as a Rental Property and be sure to check the box for "I rent out part of my home" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge). Then continue to enter your income, expenses, and rental asset (your home).

Note: The question regarding "personal use days" refers only to the portion of your home that you rent out to others. If you do not personally use this space when it is not occupied, then your personal use days are zero.

Additional Information:

PatriciaV

Additional Information: