turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deg2103
Returning Member

How do I elect to roll over capital gains into a Qualified Opportunity Zone Fund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I elect to roll over capital gains into a Qualified Opportunity Zone Fund?

https://fundrise.com/education/blog-posts/how-to-roll-over-a-capital-gain-into-an-opportunity-fund.

you need to talk to your broker to see if they offer such a fund

a word of warning - 

To provide some background, an Opportunity Zone is generally located in an economically distressed, or low-income, community. Each has been nominated by the state and that nomination has been certified by the Secretary of the U.S. Treasury. Their purpose is to spur economic development and job creation in distressed communities by making it more appealing to investors to invest in such places.

A Qualified Opportunity Fund (QOF) is an investment vehicle that is set up as either a partnership or corporation for investing in eligible property that is located in an Opportunity Zone and utilizes the investor’s gains from a prior investment for funding the Opportunity Fund.

Also note that TurboTax software did not support the reporting of such transactions in the 2018 software (not without using overrides on the desktop software....and thus requiring paper/mail filing).

We have no word on whether they (TurboTax) will support reporting those types of transactions in the 2019 tax software.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies