turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zfujimoto

How do I decide which state to declare my dividends and long-term capital gains off my 1099-Div? (Filing 2 state returns)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I decide which state to declare my dividends and long-term capital gains off my 1099-Div? (Filing 2 state returns)

If you moved from one state to another state, and can't readily determine which state the dividends and capital gains were earned in, then do an allocation based on the time in each state.

So for example, say the first 3 months I lived in State A and them moved to State B for the rest of the year.

I would allocate 1/4 to State A of the dividends and capital gains and 3/4 to State B.

This a perfectly acceptable method of allocation.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you moved from one state to another state, and can't readily determine which state the dividends and capital gains were earned in, then do an allocation based on the time in each state.

So for example, say the first 3 months I lived in State A and them moved to State B for the rest of the year.

I would allocate 1/4 to State A of the dividends and capital gains and 3/4 to State B.

This a perfectly acceptable method of allocation.  

This makes sense and I was able to allocate those items on the for my North Carolina return, but not my PA return. The PA return offered that option for interest, but not dividends or Capital Gains. Is there a glitch?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies