turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

votedave

Hello, I have a gues suite located in my primary home. I rent the suite out on AirBnB. Am I able to deduct a portion of my utility bills (gas, electric, WiFi) from my taxes as a business expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Hello, I have a gues suite located in my primary home. I rent the suite out on AirBnB. Am I able to deduct a portion of my utility bills (gas, electric, WiFi) from my taxes as a business expense?

Am I able to deduct a portion of my utility bills (gas, electric, WiFi) from my taxes as a business expense?

Yes, provided the tenant(s) actually have access to/benefit from those utilities. For example, if the tenant does not have an active and working cable TV drop available to them in the room you rent out, then non of your cable TV bill is deductible.

Also take note that if you only have 1 land land telephone in your home, then none of your telephone bill is deductible even if you share that line with the tenant(s). So hopefully your internet access isn't via DSL over a telephone line.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can deduct a portion of your home bills against the rent income that you report. If you use the space for personal purposes when it is not being rented, however, your deductions may be limited if you do not generate a net profit from the venture.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies