Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emaansyed

Hello, I had invested in a startup company for see money, that company is closed and I lost my investment. where do enter that loss in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello, I had invested in a startup company for see money, that company is closed and I lost my investment. where do enter that loss in TurboTax?

It depends on what why you "invested" in it.  Did you buy stock?  Buy a Partnership Interest?  Loan money?  Purchase equipment for your own business?  Something else?

mail4ksh
Returning Member

I have a similar question - I invested in return for a Safe Note. The company folded - now how do I account for the investment I made as a loss in 2021 taxes?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, here is how to report your worthless non-business bad debt.

1. Go to federal>wages and income
  2. investment income >Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B)
  3. First screen answer Yes. Second screen, indicate this is other.
  4. Tell us more about this sale.  Worthless note
  5. What type of investment, indicate other.
  6. Record the other information listed about the note. For the proceeds, enter the amount of payments you received since the note's inception. If you received no payments, then enter 0.
  7. Next enter the price you paid for the note.
  8. After everything is entered, you should have a capital loss.  Keep in mind, if you have no other capital gain income,  your loss amount you can claim for this year is $3000. Your carryover losses in excess of the $3k are carried over indefinitely until used up.

@mail4ksh

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies