Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rowe

How to fill Schedule K-1 with ordinary income, rental income, and foreign transactions?

I have a Schedule K-1 with the following:

Part III, Box 1: ordinary business income (loss)

Part III, Box 3: other net rental income (loss)

Part III, Box 16: A, B, E, J

I followed advice and created 3 K-1s, one for each of the sections I described above. In the K-1 for Box 1, I included all other information.

TurboTax keeps complaining that "Sch K-1 Partnership Additional Info 1: Fgn Tax Code J Ln 3 col 3 are listed but no foreign source income at individual level has been listed on the K-1 Additional Information worksheet line 1."

It seems that it's not picking up Box E Code E, which is described as "General Category - Foreign gross income". Initially I tried just one K-1. Either way, the foreign gross income is not picked up, which is preventing me from e-filing.

What is the solution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to fill Schedule K-1 with ordinary income, rental income, and foreign transactions?

I usually use 2 copies, not 3 and put the box 16 (and other box info) onto whichever it is most associated with.  See if that works.  If it is for a publicly-traded partnership: I've stopped entering anything under foreign taxes, because it's always a problem..  It's never affected anything else on the return.  I think "at individual level"  is the key to the problem. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I usually use 2 copies, not 3 and put the box 16 (and other box info) onto whichever it is most associated with.  See if that works.  If it is for a publicly-traded partnership: I've stopped entering anything under foreign taxes, because it's always a problem..  It's never affected anything else on the return.  I think "at individual level"  is the key to the problem. 

rowe

Thanks for your help, that unstuck TurboTax. I guess we'll see what happens after that 🙂

Glad to help.  I've found that except for the income (loss), return of capital, dividends, etc., nothing in the other boxes has any affect on my tax return.

John,

Here is the problem I am having.  It sounds similar.  Any tips on how to fix it?

Sch K-1 Partnership Additional Info 1: Fgn Tax Code I Ln 2 col 3 is listed but no foreign source income at individual level has been listed on the K-1 Additional Information worksheet line 1.

@dianastan22: Have you gone far enough in the return to complete the "Foreign Taxes" section (in Deductions and Credits)?  That usually cleans up the most common errors.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies