turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhoffmann

For my rental property, I entered $11,524 in real estate property taxes. However, the summary of expenses says just $10,577. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

For my rental property, I entered $11,524 in real estate property taxes. However, the summary of expenses says just $10,577. Why?

Was the home converted to a rental during the year   OR   was it used partly for personal use ? 

rhoffmann

I think that's it--I had it down for 30 days of personal use, so only 11/12 of the tax applied.  Thanks!

Carl
Level 15

If you claimed anything greater than zero days of personal use, then that reduces what you're allowed to deduct as a rental expense.

Personal use days are days that you live in the property as your primary residence, 2nd home, vacation home, or *any* *other* personal pleasure use. Examples:

- Your rental is 500 miles away. A renter moves out and you go there for a week to clean the property up and get it turned around. You stay in the house each night to save money on hotel expenses. This is *NOT* personal pleasure use and does *NOT* count as personal use days.

- Your rental is 500 miles away. A renter moves out and you go there with your family for a week so that you can do the work to complete the turn around and get the property ready for the next renter. Meanwhile, your family is there to see the sights and spend time at the beach or lake while you are working on the rental.  You and the family stay at the rental house every night to save money on hotel expenses. This time "DOES" "COUNT" as personal use days because while you were there to work, you bought the family with you for their "personal pleasure".

@Carl wrote:

You and the family stay at the rental house every night to save money on hotel expenses. This time "DOES" "COUNT" as personal use days because while you were there to work, you bought the family with you for their "personal pleasure".

Just for the record:

Days used for repairs and maintenance.

Any day that you spend working substantially full time repairing and maintaining (not improving) your property isn’t counted as a day of personal use. Don’t count such a day as a day of personal use even if family members use the property for recreational purposes on the same day.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527#en_US_2019_publink1000219182

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies