Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

steve20

Are second home expenses still deductible? My daughter lives in it and pays below market rent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Are second home expenses still deductible? My daughter lives in it and pays below market rent.

For a Not-For-Profit rental, the only deductible expenses are mortgage interest and property taxes, by treating it as a second home. Any other expenses were eliminated with TCJA 2018.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

For a Not-For-Profit rental, the only deductible expenses are mortgage interest and property taxes, by treating it as a second home. Any other expenses were eliminated with TCJA 2018.

steve20

Do I include the money she pays as income?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes
To report:
• Click on Federal Taxes
• Wages and Income
? You may need to click Jump to Full List, Show me everything or I’ll choose what I work on depending upon your situation and the TurboTax version you are using.
• Scroll to the very bottom; Less Common Income; Click Show more (if start isn’t displayed)
• Click Start across from Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
At the “Other Taxable Income” screen, enter your description – Not for Profit Rental and then amount of income you received.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies