Solved: Filing Previous Years Investment Gains & Losses

acarvall

Filing Previous Years Investment Gains & Losses

I've been investing on my own in the last few years but didn't realize I needed to file gains/losses until recently. How can I file for previous years? Do I need to re-file those years' taxes, or can I just file the previous older gains/losses with my next tax submission?

@acarvall wrote:

Yes, I recognize that. The gains & losses are from active trading back to 2016.

Then if you have gains or losses on investment sales those sales have to be reported on the tax return for the year of the sale.  You will have to amend the tax returns you filed for each year you sold an investment.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending tax returns originally completed and filed using TurboTax - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

Gains or losses on an investment are not reported on a tax return unless you have sold the investment.

Have you sold any investments in 2019 or prior tax years?

acarvall

@acarvall wrote: