jhall005

Expenses Rental Property Purchase

I started looking for rental properties July 2016 through end of year. Found one in 2017 signed contract and it fell through.

I have all the expenses for looking for property in 2016 and I created a sole proprietorship in order to claim those expenses. 

How do I do it in Turbo Tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

view2

Expenses Rental Property Purchase

Generally, No deduction is allowed for travel in a general investigation or search for new business or investment opportunities.

If you are traveling to explore a specific investment opportunity and you make the investment, your travel expenses are not deductible; they are added to the basis of the investment.

The costs you had before making a decision to acquire or begin a specific business. These costs are personal and nondeductible. They include any costs incurred during a general search for, or preliminary investigation of, a business or investment possibility.

The costs you had in your attempt to acquire or begin a specific business. These costs are capital expenses and you can deduct them as a capital loss.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p535/ch01.html