turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VAer
Level 4

Estimated Tax Payment and Carryover Loss?

For example(just an example), I have $35k short term stock capital gain in May 2020, and I suppose to pay estimated tax for 2nd quarter 2020. However, I lost over $60k a few years ago, then apply $3k deduction to taxable income each year, and there will be around $40k capital loss carryover for 2020 tax return (when filing in 2021).

In this case, do I need to pay 2nd quarter estimated tax to IRS? Since I still have capital loss.

Do I need to pay 2nd quarter state estimated tax(does capital loss carryover applying to state)?

Assuming I have another $30k stock capital gain in 3rd quarter 2020, then I should pay 3rd quarter estimated tax to IRS on $25k accumulative capital gain? Where 25k=30k-(40k-35k)

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You do not need to pay estimated tax for your capital gain of $35k in the second quarter as they will be offset by your capital loss carryover.

In the 3rd quarter, you should pay estimated tax as your carryover has been used up.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You do not need to pay estimated tax for your capital gain of $35k in the second quarter as they will be offset by your capital loss carryover.

In the 3rd quarter, you should pay estimated tax as your carryover has been used up.

VAer
Level 4

Thanks. How about 2nd quarter estimated tax and 3rd quarter estimated tax for state?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The same principle as for Federal applies.

Carl
Level 15

I would suggest that you pay "at last" $1 (one dollar) each quarter. Otherwise, there are situations where the program "will" assess a penalty that requires you to annualized your income to cancel it out.  It's more of a PITA to annualize, than it is to go to www.irs.gov/payments and make a one dollar online payment.

Same would apply to state to if your state taxes your income. But you'd have to check your state website to see what method of payment they accept. Not all states have online payment options.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies