turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Don't dividends and capital gains on a custodial account have to be reported to the IRS?

This year I opened a custodial account for my granddaughter and am getting separate forms from my broker for that account with my granddaughter's SSN and a different payer's TIN.  Can this be entered on my own return, or do I have to file a separate return for this account?  Does Turbo Tax help have instructions for this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Don't dividends and capital gains on a custodial account have to be reported to the IRS?

Your granddaughter would have to file under her name, and yes TurboTax can walk you through this.

IRS Form 8615: Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income

For 2020, a child must file Form 8615 if all of the following conditions apply:

• The child has more than $2,200 in unearned income
  • The child is required to file a tax return
  • The child does not file a joint tax return with a spouse
  • At least one of the child's parents is alive
  • The child is within certain age limits

For tax purposes, the child's "age" is the age on December 31. The child must file the form if any of these conditions apply:

• The child is under 18 at the end of the year
  • The child is 18 years old and does not have earned income that is more than half of the child's support for the year, or
  • The child was a full-time student age 19-23 and does not have earned income that is more than half of the child's support

Treatment of unearned income

In general, in 2020 the first $1,100 worth of a child's unearned income is tax-free. The next $1,100 is taxed at the child's income tax rate for 2020. Anything above $2,200, however, is taxed at the rate that applies to trusts and estates, which usually is higher than the child's rate. This tax treatment has gained a nickname: the "kiddie tax." Calculating how much tax applies to the child's income is the purpose of Form 8615.

Information on the form

When filing the form, you must provide the child's name and Social Security Number (SSN) and the name and Social Security Number of a parent, as well as which filing status the parent is using, such as single, joint or married filing separately. The form has three parts:

• Part I identifies the child's unearned income and how much of it is subject to the kiddie tax
  • Part II calculates the kiddie tax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies