turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kkuz2008

Do I need to report Open Long Options at Year-End on my 2021 tax return? These are long call and put options purchased in Dec 2021 that don't expire until 2022.

These are open market option transactions, not employer issued options.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to report Open Long Options at Year-End on my 2021 tax return? These are long call and put options purchased in Dec 2021 that don't expire until 2022.

You would not report open positions on your return until they are closed (i.e., until they expire or are sold).

Note that there is an exception to the foregoing if you have trader status and have made a mark-to-market election (which does not appear to the case).

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You would not report open positions on your return until they are closed (i.e., until they expire or are sold).

Note that there is an exception to the foregoing if you have trader status and have made a mark-to-market election (which does not appear to the case).

kkuz2008

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies