Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to take depreciation, since I am not getting the deduction and my other rental expenses cover the rental income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Do I have to take depreciation, since I am not getting the deduction and my other rental expenses cover the rental income?

Yes, you are required to take depreciation, even though you income level forces a carryover of your loss. Whether you take it or not, you will have to recapture the amount of depreciation allowed or allowable upon the sale.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I bought the rental property this year and have a loss $3500 which is not deductible because income is over $150,000.  My other rental expenses exceed the rental in come so I don't need the depreciation

Can owning a single rental unit be considered QBI? Will it do any good since it is a loss.

Even if it qualified for QBI, it doesn't matter since you had a loss on the rental.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you are required to take depreciation, even though you income level forces a carryover of your loss. Whether you take it or not, you will have to recapture the amount of depreciation allowed or allowable upon the sale.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies