turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pinti

Do I have to pay capital gains tax?

Im 70yr retired, ssi is 1725/mo before medicare insurance is taken out, rental income 11,000 for this year 2017, and no other income. Purchased house in FL as primary home then moved to SC and primary house is now in SC. Rented out old primary house 5 years ago and now selling it. Purchased FL home for 84500 and selling for 135000. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. Since you did not live in the house (as your primary residence) for 2 out of the 5 years prior to sale, you may not exclude the capital gain form the sale.

Your income is low enough to put most of the gain in the 0% long term capital gain tax rate. But the gain is still considered part of your gross income and this means that up to 85% of your social security benefits will become taxable.

In addition, you will have to report depreciation recapture as income. Depreciation recapture is taxed at ordinary income tax rates.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. Since you did not live in the house (as your primary residence) for 2 out of the 5 years prior to sale, you may not exclude the capital gain form the sale.

Your income is low enough to put most of the gain in the 0% long term capital gain tax rate. But the gain is still considered part of your gross income and this means that up to 85% of your social security benefits will become taxable.

In addition, you will have to report depreciation recapture as income. Depreciation recapture is taxed at ordinary income tax rates.

You will have to report the sale and the depreciation taken will be taxed as ordinary income like the rent, then the rest of the profit is  cap gain will be taxed at the cap gain rates. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies