Do I enter Nursing home rent on the rent paid in 2...

rlackas

Do I enter Nursing home rent on the rent paid in 2020 box?

pattif12

It depends, if you are entering nursing home living expenses that include medical facility fees, then that would be under medical expenses in the deduction section. 

You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical care in a nursing home, home for the aged, or similar institution, for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents. This includes the cost of meals and lodging in the home if a principal reason for being there is to get medical care.

Don't include the cost of meals and lodging if the reason for being in the home is personal. You can, however, include in medical expenses the part of the cost that is for medical or nursing care.

Medical, dental, and vision expenses are reported on Schedule A and entered in the Deductions & Credits section.

1. With your return open, search for Schedule A and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes on the Did you spend more than $x,xxx on medical expenses in 2020? screen.
  3. Enter your medical expenses, starting with prescriptions, on the following screens. Nursing home living expenses would be a medical expense.
Carl

Just my two cents. But I would think nursing home rent would be a qualified medical expense that would be a SCH A deduction. Maybe there's circumstances that make you question that?