turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ingajahn

Divorce Post House Sale

I have a question:  Background:  I am recently amicably divorced. We had our house on the market but due to the covid19 situation, have decided to cancel and spend time doing improvements to the house (like a new roof, etc.) while being roommates.  This is due to a variety of factors:

1) Vultures trying to buy a house in a great neighborhood at a low ball price.  Sorry, not giving house away.

2) Re-financing can lower our mortgage payments immensely and then we can use the money to put necessary improvements into the house during this time.

3) Finally, a house a block away from us in the market at $599.9K which is funny, as ours was on the market at $299.9K . But perhaps we do improvements and price more compatibly to 'hood post covid 19 (but we are looking to sell not make a profit).

OK, so upon realtor advice too, we cancelled the house sale for the time being to ride out the covid19 situation.  House was in both of our names, but I am agreeing to do a quit claim deed on the property and have my ex-husband solely on the property in name to re-finance the mortgage. Meanwhile, we have a legal paper written up with my divorce atty that I will get 50% of proceeds following sale (minus any money either of us puts in for renovations, probably him more than me as he makes a lot more than me) when we eventually sell (per atty, in our state, we have up to 5 years to sell from date of re-fi, but are hoping to do this within the next 6-24 mos depending on the outcome of covid19 situation). Next, we will be roommates, as we have been for a while now lol, and I will "rent" from him.

Issue:  So what is my question? It's this: upon house sale proceeds, can he just write me a check for the amount owed to me, or is there any tax implications?  We have sought advice from divorce and real estate attorney, and I am *assuming* (BUT never like to assume) that we can just write me a check to cash up to amount allowed as gift without tax penalty.  And if amount goes above this (for 2020, amount to gift is $15,000 per year without tax), he can write me a second check if we make more than that.  So, is that okay?  Thanks!!!  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Divorce Post House Sale

@ingajahn wrote:

We have sought advice from divorce and real estate attorney . . .

You need to consult a tax attorney. We see many, many cases here where divorce attorneys made serious mistakes about tax law. I wouldn't rely on the real estate attorney for tax advice either. You have a very unusual situation.

@ingajahn wrote:

I am *assuming* (BUT never like to assume) that we can just write me a check to cash up to amount allowed as gift without tax penalty.  And if amount goes above this (for 2020, amount to gift is $15,000 per year without tax), he can write me a second check if we make more than that.  So, is that okay?

No, that's not okay. It's not a gift if you have an agreement (essentially a contract) saying that he will pay you the money. Even if you don't put the agreement in writing, it's not a gift.

And don't assume anything. Get clear specific legal advice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Divorce Post House Sale

@ingajahn wrote:

We have sought advice from divorce and real estate attorney . . .

You need to consult a tax attorney. We see many, many cases here where divorce attorneys made serious mistakes about tax law. I wouldn't rely on the real estate attorney for tax advice either. You have a very unusual situation.

@ingajahn wrote:

I am *assuming* (BUT never like to assume) that we can just write me a check to cash up to amount allowed as gift without tax penalty.  And if amount goes above this (for 2020, amount to gift is $15,000 per year without tax), he can write me a second check if we make more than that.  So, is that okay?

No, that's not okay. It's not a gift if you have an agreement (essentially a contract) saying that he will pay you the money. Even if you don't put the agreement in writing, it's not a gift.

And don't assume anything. Get clear specific legal advice.

Carl
Level 15

Divorce Post House Sale

You both need to seek the services of a "tax" "attorney". Not a CPA, and not an EA. A "TAX" "ATTORNEY". What you have is not simple on the tax front, by any stretch of the imagination. For example, it matters if you live in a community property state or not. Additionally, it matters if the sale occurs before or after the divorce is fanalized. There are a "lot" of things that "matter". Seek the services of a tax attorney that is licensed to practice tax law in your state.

What makes this *REALLY* matter, is if your state taxes personal income.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Divorce Post House Sale

Consult the tax attorney before you do anything with the deed. That could have tax implications, too. You don't want to make an expensive mistake. When I replied yesterday I was concentrating on answering your question about the payment after the sale, and I overlooked the fact that there's a significant earlier step involved.

You and your ex-husband might have to go to two different tax attorneys. One attorney might not be willing to advise both of you, since your interests are divergent. It might be a violation of professional ethics for one attorney to advise both of you. The attorney will tell you whether he or she can advise both of you.

Divorce Post House Sale

Hey thank you!  I will reach out to a tax attorney then, thanks! 

Divorce Post House Sale

Thx again for the three of you reaching out.  We are by the book, and yes, this is very unusual - being the Covid19 state of being the world is living now - so thanks, will call someone tomorrow.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies