Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Disallowed Wash Sale Loss

I have a small loss of $4 on Form 1099-B.  In box (1g) Wash Sale Loss Disallowed it also show the same loss of $4.  When entering the information for form 1099-B in Turbo Tax it also states that if the entire loss is disallowed enter "blank", by entering blank it actually allows the loss.  I am confused?  Is the loss disallowed or not?

Please explain.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

Yes, if your broker reported this loss as a wash sale it should be disallowed. You will want to enter the amount in Box 1g as a positive number into TurboTax:

1. In the Federal > Wages & Income > Investment Income section of your return, click Start/Revisit next to Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B)
  2. Answer Yes and then select stocks. Import or enter your transactions manually. 
  3. If you are entering manually, after entering the information up to Box 1e, click I have other boxes on my 1099-B to enter
  4. Enter the wash sale disallowed in Box 1g

Why does it also say under Select any less common adjustments that apply  

(checked) Loss from this sale is disallowed due to wash sale rules

Disallowed wash sale amount (leave blank if entire loss is disallowed)  $4

If I remove the $4 (leaving blank) it will accept the loss.  By leaving the $4 the loss is disallowed.

Confused!

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

If you already entered the disallowed loss in box 1g, then when you respond to the question in TurboTax concerning the less common items, you might be re-entering the disallowed loss that you had previously entered.  As suggested by @RaifH, enter the disallowed loss so that your loss does not appear on Form 8949, essentially it gets reduced to 0.  That disallowed loss will just be added to your cost for the purchase that triggered the wash sale.  If your return reflects the $4 loss as disallowed, then you can move on to other sections of TurboTax as needed.   

@Wdtax20

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
quynha

Is 1g option not available in home and business version? if so, how do i report it using home/business version?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@quynha  If you have a loss from a stock sale that you need to report then you will need to put it in the investment income section of 'Wages and Income.'  The first option there is sales of stock so you should be able to enter your information whether you received a form 1099-B or not.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies