Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cossh5tax

I was carrying a capital gains loss and taking a -3000 dollar deduction each year but this hasn't come up in my return?

I was carrying a capital gains loss and taking a -3000 dollar deduction each year but this capital loss carry issue hasn't come up in my filing with turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I was carrying a capital gains loss and taking a -3000 dollar deduction each year but this hasn't come up in my return?

Did you have capital gains to offset it? Are there any remaining losses if you had?
cossh5tax

this year I had capital gains of 8,798.64. From last years return I am carrying over a capital loss of 56,260. I want to make sure I use my 3000 deduction and document the capital loss carry over?
cossh5tax

correction, I am carrying a capital loss of 88.966.00
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You can manually enter the amount if it did not transfer over.
cossh5tax

can I start the review process and see if it carried over, I just don't see how it could have as I used HR Block last year?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes. Plus, see my answer.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

To use your capital loss carryover from 2017, you need to enter the amount in TurboTax.

To do so, open your return and follow these steps:

• Click on Federal Taxes, then on Wages and Income
  • Under All Income, locate the Investment Income section
  • Click Show more and click Start next to Capital loss carryover (see attached screenshot)
  • Follow the questionnaire to enter your capital loss carryover from 2017.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies