turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JZ1964

Determining basis on a new home

Dear Community, I purchased a new home to serve as a rental property in August 2019 and I'm trying to determine the basis for taxes.  The county property tax record does not list building value at this time and only notes the land value. 

Should I use the sales price of the home and then change next year when the tax record is updated to show building value?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

No, it is best to record a value for land from the beginning.  Since you know what you paid for the home, including the land, and the county tax records have the land value you can record the home as the amount of what you paid for it less the amount the county tax records show for the land value.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the values used to establish the cost basis in your home will not change when the assessor's values change in the future.  Once you have used the assessor's land value at the time of your purchase you will not use any assessor's values in the future. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

No, it is best to record a value for land from the beginning.  Since you know what you paid for the home, including the land, and the county tax records have the land value you can record the home as the amount of what you paid for it less the amount the county tax records show for the land value.

JZ1964

Thanks Diane!

Do these building and land values stay locked at these numbers (assuming no physical changes to the property) going forward or can I adjust these dollar amounts next year when the  county adds building value to the property tax record?  Based on some internet examples I found it seems the value the country tax office places on your property is often lower than what you paid for it.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the values used to establish the cost basis in your home will not change when the assessor's values change in the future.  Once you have used the assessor's land value at the time of your purchase you will not use any assessor's values in the future. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies