turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deducation & Depreciation Calculations for a primary property with partial rental converted to investment property

For my uncommon and somewhat complex situation with rental I need some guidance on how to correctly report rental income and distribute the expenses and take depreciation.

I purchased my primary single-family home back in 2009. From January 2015, I started renting out roughly 25% of the primary property to long and short term (Airbnb) tenants until July 31, 2020. From 2015, I also started taking depreciation for about 25% of the house and Turbotax calculated rental and personal part of taxes, expenses etc. In 2019, I remodeled a bathroom that was part of this 25% of the property used 100% by tenants. So, in 2019 tax return I started taking depreciation for the bathroom remodel as well.

On August 1, 2020, I moved out of my primary house and converted it to 100% rental property. So, from January 1, 2020 to July 31, 2020 it was primary house with 25% rental and from August 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020 it was 100% rental house.

I am trying to figure out what is the best way to reflect this on my tax return?

Option 1: Show as two separate rental units (even though it is the same house)

• January to July partial rental (let TurboTax calculate the proportionate expenses and depreciation like it did from 2015 until last year)
  • August to December whole house rental

Option 2: Show both the rentals as a single rental unit; if I go this route how do I calculate personal and rental portions of property taxes, mortgage interest, expenses and how do I calculate the percentage (single number) for the property (25% for part of the year and 100% for the rest) for depreciation?

If I choose Option 1 above,

I can take depreciation from January to July for the 25% of the house (as well as the bathroom remodel in 2019) and say from August 1st I stopped using this asset (including remodeled bathroom) in 2020 “Taken out of service for any other reason”

Add the same house as a new property (as well as 2019-bathroom remodel) and show (100%) of it was placed in service and start taking depreciation for the whole value of the property for the next 27.5 years?

If I do that then what happens to all the depreciations I have taken so far from 2015 on 25% of the property and the bathroom remodel? I also want to understand, if I ever sell this property, how would I recapture the depreciation? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies