turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I disposed of a K-1 partnership and received a 1099-B. Turbotax is asking about this 1099B and the K-1 separately. Why is TT automatically populating Form 8949 line 10?

The 1099-B section of TT populates form 8949 and Schedule D Part II line 9 correctly as per the 1099-B.

When I get to the questionaire on TT for the K-1 Partnership, it asks if I disposed of the partnership (or any portion of it). I fill in the same info as in the 1099-B above, BUT TT puts this info on line 10 of schedule D, essentially duplicating the info on line 9 of schedule D populated by the 1099 B. WHY is TT double populating the schedule D? The 1099B and the K-1 Partnership disposal are the same item, but the tax return is showing as 2 different. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I disposed of a K-1 partnership and received a 1099-B. Turbotax is asking about this 1099B and the K-1 separately. Why is TT automatically populating Form 8949 line 10?

Do  NOT enter the sale info again in the K-1 section if it was already handled in the 1099-B section ...remove the purchase/sale price & date. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Was this a Publically Traded Partnership (PTP) or Master Limited Partnership (MLP)?

@TaxGuyBill PTP. It seems like TT is double counting the info on the K-1 and 1099B (they are the same info). Which do I use? I am worried since the IRS received both a 1099B and a K-1. I suspect the best section to put this info in is in the K-1 section (however I dont know what the IRS will do if I dont report the 1099B, will they know they are related?). I need to report both, dont want an audit... any ideas. Why does TT handle it this way?

Again ... ONLY enter the sale from the 1099-B  using the info from the K-1.

Do  NOT enter the sale info again in the K-1 section if it was already handled in the 1099-B section ...remove the purchase/sale price & date. 

@Critter#2 Thank you! Just so I am clear- what I am doing then is entering everything from the 1099 B section, and in the K-1 section, I am selecting the following: "Describe the Partnership" Check boxes on 1) This is a PTP 2) Disposed a portion of my interest in the partnership during 2017
THen
on the "Tell us about your sale- what type of disposition was this?" I Selected "sold partnership interest"
Then
on the "Enter sales dates"
I put in Purchase Date "Various" <- this was bought on various different days several years ago
Sale Date: 3/24/2017 (all sold on the same date)
Then on the
"Enter Sale Information"
I am FORCED to enter in 0 in the following fields: "Sale Price,  Partnership Basis" Else TT flags this and forces me to fix it. My concern is that this 0 amount flows into some form which will trigger a flag on the IRS side, since obviously it was not sold at $0 and basis was not $0.

I am leaving all other fields empty "Selling Expense, Ordinary Gain, 1250 Gain"  I am leaving all of these empty.

Correct?

Ok ... I see where your real issue is. You are trying to follow the program and enter the sale twice ... if the 1099-B has the sale then you do NOT also enter it in the K-1 section no matter what the program says ... you ONLY use the K-1 section if it was not already handled earlier in the system ... remove the second entry and life will be much better.

@Critter#2 Thank you for the guidance. Here is what I ended up doing - 1) in the 1099B section, I manually calculated the cost basis (there were cumulative adjustments to the tax basis every year) and I put the cost basis in on the 1099B section. This section was automatically populated with the proceeds # so TT calculated the total gain. My 1099B form from the broker had a header on it that said "Applicable check box on Form 8949 =X" "Type of gain / loss NOT determined" - I told TT this was "X" -> unknown holding period and Box 2- type of gain "L - long term more than a year (which it is)"

For the 2nd part of this 2) under the K-1 partnership questionnaire part of TT, I DID NOT check the box that said "I disposed of this". Instead I pretended that I still had interest in it (and TT will probably ask about this again next year). TT DID need me to fill in all the K-1 details, such as the partners share of income ($28 in short term capital loss as reported on the K-1) etc. I don this step is avoidable as the k-1 is reported to the IRS.

Does this sound right? Am I missing something?
What exactly does the Turbotax questionnaire checkbox "I disposed of this" in the k-1 partnership section translate to in IRS forms?

That will work... and you will need to delete the K-1 shell next year.

@Critter#2 Sorry for the following 2 questions 1) If I do not select "dispose" of this partnership, and there are losses to carryover, then what happens? I assume TT would have allowed me to take all the losses this year since I disposed of the k-1?

2) I pivoted to form 1065 and noticed that Line J (partners share of profit,loss,capital were never asked from me during the TT questionaire 'easystep'
Do you know if these lines are mandatory? This goes for Line L as well. I have this info available but TT never asked me for it during the questionaire. I looked at my 2016 return and these were left blank...
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies