turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

watchman01
Returning Member

Cost of Property plus Expenses of Sale

I sold my rental property in September of 2019.  I am entering the information in TT and do not understand what to put in the box "Cost of property plus expenses of sale".  Does this mean the original price i paid plus the costs associated with selling the property?  Or, does it mean the original price plus original costs associated with purchasing the property.  There is no explanation.  Thanks,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Do you have your rental property set up in TurboTax as a rental property, and calculating depreciation expense each year along with other income and expenses?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
watchman01
Returning Member

No.  I had to switch computers this year so I "transferred" a PDF of last's year's TT. I will need to enter the total depreciation manually.  Usually, TT breaks down all the math.  This particular line does not make sense to me.  I think it literally is asking me to enter the purchase price plus sales related costs.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure where and why you're getting the question you are referring to.  You should be disposing of an existing asset, and reporting proceeds and sales expenses.

If you have a depreciation report from last year, you should use that to recreate your "asset" in TurboTax.  If you haven't already, set up the property as if it is a new rental property, but use the original date it was placed in service.  TurboTax will calculate the accumulated depreciation based upon your entries - which need to match the original entries.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies