turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cost basis on sale of rental property incorrect

Using TurboTax Premier 2018.  Sold a rental property in 2018.  TurboTax is adding the depreciable basis to line 21 of form 4797 (Cost or other basis plus expense of sale).  My accountant's version of cost does not include this.  It makes a large difference in adjusted basis.  Is this a bug, or is there a workaround to remove the depreciable basis?  The TT asset worksheet has the correct asset expense of sale.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

or maybe TT is correct and the account is incorrect????????????????  why are you assuming the accountant is correct? 

maybe I am not following the question...... 

@mtfarley1 you need to provide additional details (e.g., the figures, or approximations thereof, you used and where in the program you entered those figures).

The test return I have saved has the correct calculations on Line 21 of Form 4797.

Figured it out.  The accountant's cost included the depreciable basis amount.  Subtracting that amount from the cost gave me the correct answer.  BTW, my post with details was deleted by a moderator.  Won't do that again... thanks again for the replies.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies