jsweaver1189

Claim rent on my taxes

how do i claim my rent on turbo tax

Claim rent on my taxes

There is not a rent deduction or credit on your Federal return.  If your state has anything for renters you will be prompted to enter your rent info when you complete your state return.  As far as I know, the states that have anything for rent are Vermont, Michigan, Maine,Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, Rhode Island, California, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Arizona,  Wisconsin, and Connecticut.  I don't know if there are any others.

ratings image
jerry2000
Alumni

Claim rent on my taxes

You do not claim rent on your federal return - it is not deductible. Some states have a renter's credit. If your state does, then it will be covered in the state interview.