Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Ask the Experts about Life Changes in 2021 >> Event happening TODAY!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffker

Can i write off expenses for a rental property?

Does it depend on my income?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KenH1

Yes. Common rental expenses include depreciation (based on your purchase price), real estate taxes, mortgage interest, maintenance, and repairs.  

These expenses will always offset your rental income; however, if the result is a loss, it will be disallowed if your total income from all sources is over $150k.  Instead, those losses become Passive Activity Losses and are carried forward for use in future years or when you sell.

To enter your rental income and expenses, including depreciation, go to:

Federal Taxes, then 

Wages & Income

Scroll down to Rental Property & Royalties

After the general questions about the property, enter rental income.  At the summary screen, scroll down and select Add Expenses

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KenH1

Yes. Common rental expenses include depreciation (based on your purchase price), real estate taxes, mortgage interest, maintenance, and repairs.  

These expenses will always offset your rental income; however, if the result is a loss, it will be disallowed if your total income from all sources is over $150k.  Instead, those losses become Passive Activity Losses and are carried forward for use in future years or when you sell.

To enter your rental income and expenses, including depreciation, go to:

Federal Taxes, then 

Wages & Income

Scroll down to Rental Property & Royalties

After the general questions about the property, enter rental income.  At the summary screen, scroll down and select Add Expenses

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v