turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jfoster12

Can I use the SL depreciation method to depreciate Appliances on rental real estate?

I used  SL depreciation for this appliance in other software program in 2017 and want to continue to use it, but Turbo tax doesn't give me that choice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Can I use the SL depreciation method to depreciate Appliances on rental real estate?

To enter an asset using straight-line depreciation, use these steps:

• Navigate to the area of your tax return where you want to enter a depreciable asset
  • Click Add an Asset
  • On the screen titled Describe This Asset, choose Intangibles, Other property then click Continue
  • On the screen titled Tell Us a Little More, choose Other asset type then click Continue
  • On the next screen, enter the details for the description, cost, and date purchased or acquired then click Continue
  • On the next screen, continue adding details regarding the asset and click Continue
  • Next, choose the appropriate asset class (class life) and click Continue
  • Depending on the date the asset was placed in service, there may be an additional screen asking for more information
  • Next, choose the Straight Line depreciation method, then click Continue
  • There will be additional questions to review your entries and add more details if needed (such as depreciation taken in prior years)
  • Continue going through all screens until you get back to your summary screen showing your complete list of assets

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

To enter an asset using straight-line depreciation, use these steps:

• Navigate to the area of your tax return where you want to enter a depreciable asset
  • Click Add an Asset
  • On the screen titled Describe This Asset, choose Intangibles, Other property then click Continue
  • On the screen titled Tell Us a Little More, choose Other asset type then click Continue
  • On the next screen, enter the details for the description, cost, and date purchased or acquired then click Continue
  • On the next screen, continue adding details regarding the asset and click Continue
  • Next, choose the appropriate asset class (class life) and click Continue
  • Depending on the date the asset was placed in service, there may be an additional screen asking for more information
  • Next, choose the Straight Line depreciation method, then click Continue
  • There will be additional questions to review your entries and add more details if needed (such as depreciation taken in prior years)
  • Continue going through all screens until you get back to your summary screen showing your complete list of assets

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies