Solved: Can I give my lawn guy for my rental property a 1099, even though I don't have to? He wants one so he can be eligible for Obamacare.

thebasiles777

Can I give my lawn guy for my rental property a 1099, even though I don't have to? He wants one so he can be eligible for Obamacare.

I have a rental real estate property, and it is my understanding that I don't have to send out a 1099 to independent contractors. However, my lawn care person WANTS a 1099 so that he is eligible for Health Insurance under the affordable care act. What do I do?

WillK

If you paid an contractor over $600 for work done on the or for the rental property you should issue a 1099 to that contractor. 

WillK