rrobin832

Can I enter deduct tile floored improvement in my rental? Turbo tax depreciates the cost of the flooring over 27 1/2 years and I want to depreciate 7-10 yrs?

Can I deduct tile flooring improvement in my rental? Turbo tax depreciates the cost of the flooring over 27 1/2 years and I want to depreciate 7-10 yrs?

KarenJ

New flooring would be considered an improvement, not a repair.  New floors are expected to last the life of the property.  That is why they are depreciated over 27.5 years, the same as the building you are renting.

KarenJ