turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct rent expenses that I pay for my adult sibling who lives in an assisted living home (due to his medical conditions)? His Social Security does not cover.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Can I deduct rent expenses that I pay for my adult sibling who lives in an assisted living home (due to his medical conditions)? His Social Security does not cover.

No.  You cannot deduct the rent you pay.  If you are paying for over half his support you can claim him as a dependent for the $500 credit for other dependents.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AmyC
Expert Alumni

First, your brother must be a qualifying relative to be claimed as a dependent. Then you have to have qualifying medical expenses. Rent alone is not an expense but part of it may be considered medical. Where he lives can tell you that how much is medical care versus rent.

If he is a qualifying relative, claim him on your return.

Qualifying Relative

A qualifying relative is a person:

1. Who is your: a. Son, daughter, stepchild, or foster child, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild), b. Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, or a son or daughter of any of them, c. Father, mother, or an ancestor or sibling of either of them (for example, your grandmother, grandfather, aunt, or uncle), d. Stepbrother, stepsister, stepfather, stepmother, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law, or e. Any other person (other than your spouse) who lived with you all year as a member of your household if your relationship didn't violate local law,

2. Who wasn't a qualifying child (see Qualifying Child, earlier) of any taxpayer for 2019, and

3. For whom you provided over half of the support in 2019.

But see Child of divorced or separated parents, earlier, Support claimed under a multiple support agreement next, and Kidnapped child under Qualifying Relative in Pub. 501, Dependents,

Please see pub 502, page 2 for more details. If he has qualifying medical expenses, you can claim them on your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

He is living in a Board & Care where the staff assists with medical needs, special meals, hygiene & bathing,  and is responsible for his safety.  They assist him in bathroom duties and a lot of other jobs.  They assist him in getting into and out of bed.  He cannot physically do any of the above on his own any longer, due to his medical condition.  Thank you for your response in advance!

Even if the rent includes all of his care 24/7?  Including getting him into and out of bed, trips and assistance in the bathroom, bathing and hygiene, special meals and insuring his medicine is taken appropriately. 

Thank you in advance!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No you cannot claim rent expenses for him.  If he is your dependent, you may be able to claim actual medical expenses that you pay out of pocket but rent expenses are never deductible. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

As previously mentioned, rent is not deductible but medical expenses are. If you can claim him as a dependent, then you can claim his medical expenses. Yes, he has legitimate medical expenses in there. Here is the IRS medical expense guide. Most places like that can tell you the medical portion versus the rent portion. You may get an itemized bill. Each place is a little different. You definitely have medical expenses.

Also, I really hate to say this, the medical expenses have to be pretty high to be used on your return. Please see the instructions for Schedule A, itemized deductions. In order to use this, your expenses would have to surpass your standard deduction.

The standard deduction is so high now that 95% of people are taking the standard deduction.

• Single $12,200
  • HOH, $18,350
  • MFJ $24,400.
Carl
Level 15

The bottom line is, whatever you pay to put a roof over anyone's head is never ever deductible on the federal return. Call it rent, mortgage, or anything else. It's just not a deductible expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies