turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ramsgusom

Can I deduct investment losses from 2016 tax year for 2018?

I received a 1099-B for 2016, which had some losses. I never deducted these losses for 2016 or 2017. In fact, for 2017, I never received a 1099-B because the account was closed. My 2018 1099-B has some gains for which I have to pay taxes. Can I deduct the losses from 2016?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CynthiaR

It can be confusing knowing how to handle a capital loss carry-forward in a year when you have little or no income to report on your tax return. Your income level may be low enough that you do not need to pay any taxes or even file a return. However, because you have a loss to carry forward, you must file a tax return and declare the loss. If you were in this situation in the past and you did not claim the loss carry-forward because you couldn't use it to offset income, you should amend the past return to show the carry-forward so you can use the losses on your current year or future returns.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CynthiaR

It can be confusing knowing how to handle a capital loss carry-forward in a year when you have little or no income to report on your tax return. Your income level may be low enough that you do not need to pay any taxes or even file a return. However, because you have a loss to carry forward, you must file a tax return and declare the loss. If you were in this situation in the past and you did not claim the loss carry-forward because you couldn't use it to offset income, you should amend the past return to show the carry-forward so you can use the losses on your current year or future returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies