Can I claim the rent I paid in 2018 on my State taxes under the School Property Tax Credit? I lived off campus and paid my own rent for all 12 months in Wisconsin.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cindy0H

Yes, you can. This is from Wisconsin:

You may claim a credit if you paid rent during 2018 for living quarters used as your primary residence OR you paid property taxes during 2018 on your home. You are eligible for a credit whether or not you claim homestead credit on line 45.

You may not claim the school property tax credit if you or your spouse are claiming the veterans and surviving spouses property tax credit.

Persons Who Jointly Own a Home or Share Rented Living Quarters When two or more persons (other than a married couple) jointly own a home or share rented living quarters, each may claim a credit. However, the property taxes and rent paid must be divided among the owners or occupants.

Wisconsin Instructions (page 32):

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/TaxForms2017through2019/2018-Form1-Inst.pdf

If you have other questions about this, ask in the comment section below.

Tumentum

It shows as revisit and when I click on it, there is no where to enter the information regarding rent paid.

PattiF

Here is the current information about Renter's School Property Tax Credit: