turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim exemption on capital gains in Oregon?

Can I claim an exemption for tax on gains of rental home sale in Oregon because I will be taxed on these gains in Montana where I am a resident?  Form OR-18 and Form WC (Oregon) are the forms I'm working on.   Or is there a partial exemption I can take given that MT and OR have different rates of taxation on capital gains.  My goal is to receive maximum proceeds from the sale rather than pay expected taxes at too high a rate if I can claim some exemption from Oregon capital gains tax rate.  Moreover, MT won't take taxes until they are due.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Because the house was in Oregon, you will have to pay tax to Oregon on the gain.  The gain is also taxable in Montana since that's your state of residence; however, you will receive a credit on your Montana tax return for the tax paid in Oregon. If the tax on gain in Oregon is more than Montana, you will only receive a credit for the amount of the Montana tax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Because the house was in Oregon, you will have to pay tax to Oregon on the gain.  The gain is also taxable in Montana since that's your state of residence; however, you will receive a credit on your Montana tax return for the tax paid in Oregon. If the tax on gain in Oregon is more than Montana, you will only receive a credit for the amount of the Montana tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies