Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dan20152
Returning Member

Calculating average cost basis for taxable mutual fund

I received a 1099-B for tax year 2020 from Fidelity because I cashed in 1,450.326 non-covered shares at $13.79 per share equalling $20,000.00 from a taxable mutual fund. This is the first time I cashed in since opening the fund in 1996. I need to figure out the average cost basis. In addition, I will cash in another 1,500 shares in June 2021. I also receive a 1099-DIV for 2020 which capital gains and dividends were reinvested.

I have all my quarterly and yearly statements going back to 1996.

In figuring the average cost basis, do I include or exclude the sales and creation charges and custodian fees when figuring out the average cost basis per share method? For example, transaction amount = $166.66, sales and creation charges = $1.79, custodian fee = $0.75, and therefore, net amount invested = $164.12.

I had capital gain distributions and ordinary dividends in December 2020. Will I have to figue the average cost basis again in 2021 when I cash in 1,00 more shares since I have gained more shares at the end of the year for 2020?

I would appreciate any confirmation that I am on the right track or not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Calculating average cost basis for taxable mutual fund

Refer to IRS Pub 550 chapter 4 for the real scoop on how to use average price per share of mutual funds.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies