Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gtoller

Why cant I use a rental property real estate tax on my personel income tax in lieu of claiming it as an expense on rental income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Melaine

Why cant I use a rental property real estate tax on my personel income tax in lieu of claiming it as an expense on rental income?

By claiming on rental income, it reduces your rental income by that amount, it will do the same if placed on your personal income, by the same value.  Regardless of where they are placed, personal or rental income, it will reduce your taxable income by the same amount.  However, by putting the expense with rental income you are able to see how profitable, or not, your rental property.  All income and expenses associated with each property should be shown as such on Schedule E (rental property form).  To learn more, please read Real Estate Tax and Rental Property

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Melaine

By claiming on rental income, it reduces your rental income by that amount, it will do the same if placed on your personal income, by the same value.  Regardless of where they are placed, personal or rental income, it will reduce your taxable income by the same amount.  However, by putting the expense with rental income you are able to see how profitable, or not, your rental property.  All income and expenses associated with each property should be shown as such on Schedule E (rental property form).  To learn more, please read Real Estate Tax and Rental Property

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies