As a resident of Colorado who is a student in Tenn...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrjblakelloyd

As a resident of Colorado who is a student in Tennessee, do I have to report the rent I pay in Tennessee in my Colorado Use Tax section?

How much should I/do I need to report? I'm at the point where I have lived in Tennessee long enough to potentially be considered a Tennessee resident if that helps
2 Replies
Mike9241
Level 6

As a resident of Colorado who is a student in Tennessee, do I have to report the rent I pay in Tennessee in my Colorado Use Tax section?

this is not an income tax question which is the purpose of this forum.  however, logic and probably the Commerce Clause of the US Constitution would say they can't charge you use tax on out-of-state rental.   

TomD8
Level 15

You do not have to pay the CO Use Tax on rent.  The use tax is imposed on the purchase of tangible goods on which you did not pay CO sales tax.

https://tax.colorado.gov/consumer-use-tax

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings