turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Justus3

Are Mortgage Payments Made on My Behalf Considered Income?

Here are the details: 

My soon-to-be-ex-husband and I have been separated for almost three years. He and I purchased a home in 2018, and he has NEVER lived there with me and our children. The Deed is in both of our names, the mortgage is in his name solely. For the first half of 2019, he was depositing the mortgage into our joint account so that I could pay the bill. Since it was a bill paid on my behalf, could I claim those deposits as income for tax purposes? I am trying to bump up my income so that I can get a bigger tax return, my 3.5 year old and 5.5 year old are both autistic, and their therapies and doctors visits and school and their ongoing care necessitate that I am unable to work at this time. Every little bit helps! Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Are Mortgage Payments Made on My Behalf Considered Income?

Q. Are Mortgage Payments Made on My Behalf Considered Income?

A. No. It's either a gift, spousal support (alimony) and/or child support, or nothing more than him paying his mortgage obligation.  

Some alimony IS considered income, but not the kind of income that will help get any money from the IRS.  

The money you hear about people getting for just filing a tax return, claiming kids, requires them to  have some earned income (wages or self employment). Without earned income, they are not eligible for the "refundable" Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit.  Both credits are calculated on the amount of earned income you have. No earned income means no "refund". A small amount of earned income means a small refund. The refundable child tax credit does not "kick in" unless you have at least $2500 of earned income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies