turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I required to file a Kentucky Tax return when my only income in the state is under $100 (proceeds from an Oil and Gas lease)? I am not a resident of KY.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

Am I required to file a Kentucky Tax return when my only income in the state is under $100 (proceeds from an Oil and Gas lease)? I am not a resident of KY.

According to "2019 Kentucky Income Tax Return Nonresident or Part-Year Resident", 740-NP, Form 740-NP must be used by full-year nonresidents who had income from Kentucky sources and by part-year residents who had income while a Kentucky resident or from Kentucky sources while a nonresident. These persons must file Form 740-NP if (1) they had any gross income from Kentucky sources and gross income from all sources in excess of modified gross income for their family size, or (2) Kentucky gross receipts from self-employment in excess of modified gross income for their family size. See Chart A on page 10.

On Page 10:

Modified Gross Income—Modified gross income is the greater of federal adjusted gross income adjusted to include interest income derived from municipal bonds (non-Kentucky) and lump-sum pension distributions not included in federal adjusted gross income; or Kentucky adjusted gross income adjusted to include lump-sum pension distributions not included in federal adjusted gross income.
Chart A
Your Modified Gross
If Your Family Size is: Income is greater than:
One............................. and ............................ $ 12,490
Two ............................ and ............................ $ 16,910
Three.......................... and ............................ $21,330
Four or More ............. and ............................ $ 25,750

https://revenue.ky.gov/Forms/740-NP%20Instructions%20Packet.pdf 

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

Thanks so much for the thorough answer!  I guess that means 'yes' because of my overall income even though almost all of it is not earned in Kentucky.

Hal_Al
Level 15

It's the same in most states: you have to file with any amount of non-resident state income if your total income meets certain thresholds; typically if you are required to file a federal return.  

Thanks so much!  That's that's the clear answer I was looking for. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies