jaykothari

A portion of privately held company stock sold in 2020 is held in escrow until 2022. How do I calculate the cost basis of the portion sold in 2020?

My 1099-B shows the proceeds but not the amount of stocks sold.
ThomasM125

The cost basis of the shares would be what you paid for them. You could divide the cost basis by the number of shares acquired to come up with a cost per share, then multiply that by the number of shares you sold in 2020 as listed on your 1099-B form and that would be the cost basis of shares sold in 2020.

jaykothari

Thanks. A follow up question then. I have 3 exercising events. One event qualifies those shares for QSBS. How do I enter that portion of stocks as QSBS within TurbTax? My 1099B does not identify the 3 different exercising events individually, but has the full amount listed in Box 1d.