turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

austtam

A leak in my rental property caused damage to walls and floors. I hired a contractor to repair the damage. Is this deductible or does it need to be depreciated?

A pipe burst in the kitchen and caused damage in the wall, subfloor, and flooring.  The property manager hired a contractor to repair the drywall, subfloor, and replace the flooring. The original hardwood was replaced with tile.  Is this considered a deductible cost? Or is this an improvement that needs to be deducted? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A leak in my rental property caused damage to walls and floors. I hired a contractor to repair the damage. Is this deductible or does it need to be depreciated?

It sounds like a repair. Even though you did more than just patch the damage, changing the flooring because of damage is part of the repair.  

An example of when it would be considered an improvement would be,  if the floor in the kitchen was damaged, but you took the opportunity to upgrade the flooring in the entire apartment. The flooring in the kitchen would be part of the repair but the flooring in the rest of the apartment would be an improvement to depreciate.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It sounds like a repair. Even though you did more than just patch the damage, changing the flooring because of damage is part of the repair.  

An example of when it would be considered an improvement would be,  if the floor in the kitchen was damaged, but you took the opportunity to upgrade the flooring in the entire apartment. The flooring in the kitchen would be part of the repair but the flooring in the rest of the apartment would be an improvement to depreciate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies