turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am renting out a house at FMV but still reporting a substantial loss on Sch E for consecutive years, would this be considered a not-for-profit activity?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If I am renting out a house at FMV but still reporting a substantial loss on Sch E for consecutive years, would this be considered a not-for-profit activity?

No, as long as you have a profit motive and are renting for full Fair Rental Value, it is not considered a not-for-profit rental. You may want to document the damage if you are ever questioned as to why your particular FRV does not match that of the neighborhood.

More information.   For more information about the rules for an activity not engaged in for profit, see Not-for-Profit Activities in chapter 1 of Pub. 535.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What's causing it to be such a substantial loss?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

$13,500 in depreciation, taxes, mortgage interest and insurance.  Similar houses in this area rent for more, but this house had substantial water damage in the basement and basement was gutted by previous owners and left unused.  We have not had the resources to finish it and have had to reduce the rent accordingly.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No, as long as you have a profit motive and are renting for full Fair Rental Value, it is not considered a not-for-profit rental. You may want to document the damage if you are ever questioned as to why your particular FRV does not match that of the neighborhood.

More information.   For more information about the rules for an activity not engaged in for profit, see Not-for-Profit Activities in chapter 1 of Pub. 535.

Thanks for the info.  Thought that's the way it should be, just wasn't sure.  I have taken pictures of the basement for justification.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies